Thursday, February 11, 2010

by the way did you know I'm black.




I grew up in Jamaica. Kingston, Jamaica.

And I never knew what was race, I really didn't. I thought we were all the same people just some had different colors because everyone is unique you know some darker some shorter some skinner but I guess as I got older I started to open my eyes. Quite frankly it's upsetting this whole division of people into different racial classes,I watch a movie named Skin, which the whole movie (a true story) was about a female with a brown complexion who was born to light complexion Afrikaner parents and her struggle to be classified by the government in South Africa as "White" or "Black." Really? A whole movie about calling her black or white? I think I preferred my view when I was a child with no set racial divisions. Why is it necessary anyways? It only leads to problems, what good thing came out of dividing people like that? Please to explain it because I believe it creates sides, it only builds up anger, it creates a bond between some and preference for different racial classes.

But I guess seeing as how I had no choice in the matter and I was born of a certain race what then do I do, embrace it? fight it? or pretend it doesn't exist?

To tell the God honest truth before I use to completely avoid situations or even conversations that involve race, just like the teachers say, avoid touchy topics like "Race and Religion" but how smart is that? We all need to know where we come from our roots, culture, background and embrace it to have a vivid picture of how to shape our future, how to move away from this racial division right?


So yeah in this journey of educating myself about this whole topic it made me realize that race isn't such a bad thing it's just that our past has made it into a bad thing because of the way people were treated and are still being treated today. No need to be angry though, deal with these racial situations today like someone who is fully aware of these issues and know's how to look pass the past and look towards integration in the future see that were all alike were all human and I can guarantee you in most cases you'll be treated with the respect and dignity that you deserve despite the color of your skin. If not know that the world is still filled with ignorance but you can help by trying to help educate and open their minds. I love to hear when influencial educate themselves on sensitive issues and uses their powers for good!

This is a picture of Tyrese at MLK :


His twitter caption for this picture was:

"POWERFUL: This is the actual Grave site of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and his wife Corretta Scott King and that's Ambassador Andrew Young MLK's Best Friend. Today has changed my life.. Atlanta has a lot of African American History wow...."

This is a picture of me when I was there, truly powerful.


So in my view race shouldn't be an issue and the world should work towards integration of our people. Jamaica's motto sums up my view it is something I absolutely adore "Out of Many One People" and I think we've become successful in living up to it. Like I said, I never knew what race was I thought we were all One People.

Andre S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket

Posts

Twitter